Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Good Morning

I dropped my kids off today in front of the Lower School, and they all got out of the car smiling. My too cool for school 7th grader, my berzerk 5th grader, my brooding 2nd grader and my "not the morning person" 5-year-old. All four of them got out of the car with smiles on their faces wishing me a good day. I feel very successful as a result of that.

I've worked in schools for 8 years now. One thing I've always noticed is the morning ritual of drop off. I learn a tremendous amount about a family by the way they treat each other in the morning. Some dads shower their kids with hugs and they tell their kids they love them--every single day. With some it's hit or miss, and with others, it's cold and dry. It saddens me to see parents who are already engrossed in the problems of their day by 8:00 am. There are some who don't even acknowledge their kids as they get out of the car.

No matter how hectic the morning is at home, one of my goals for myself is to be in a good mood when it's time to drop off my kids. It's important that I wish them all a good day and that they walk in the front door feeling supported. I don't always make that happen, but it is a goal. As I always say, sometimes I just happen to get some things right. Score one for dad.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Troy! This is one of my big "things." Having been in an environment where kids barely get a "good morning" and they're shoved out the door bearing all the tension or even lack of interest from their parents, I've come to greatly appreciate how important it is for children to start their days off "right." How can a child get in the right mindset for learning/exploring when they're first experiences each day are negative or not even noteworthy? Ugh. So glad you blogged about this. And, I love the description of those kids smiling. Love to you all! Elim

Troy said...

Thanks E-Lim!!