Monday, January 4, 2010

Daddy gets the bad car

I'm driving to work this morning in my Saturn and I start thinking about the days when I drove a silver two-seater with 12 inch woofers in the trunk. Some dude pulls up next to me in a black Range Rover with 20-inch rims and I stare at his truck thinking wtf? I can do without pretty much anything, but I LOVE having a "cool" car. I like leather, wood, buttons and rims--ingnore any stereotypes please. However, my Saturn has none of the aforementioned luxuries. It's a four-door, basic car that is very reliable. It gets good gas mileage and the maintenance has been minimal. Furthermore, it's paid off. It was a sound financial decision to purchase the Saturn, but every once in a while I want something else.

I turn my last corner before heading into the school parking lot, and I start thinking that at this point in my career I work hard enough and make enough money to drive a car that I'm proud of. Then I think about being a leader. I think about the fact that for the past 10 years, I have taken the "bad car" without fail anytime a new (or used) car is purchased. Let me clarify: I have insisted on having the bad car. You see I talk a good game about what I want, but when it comes down to it I'm going to put myself last 99% of the time.

Right now my wife drives an SUV, and I would not be able to stomach it if she were driving a worse car than I. It's just not the way things should be. I've never understood how guys can pull out of the driveway in new cars leaving their wives to roll hoopties. That's a bitch move fellas. No offense to anyone that drives a better car than their wife--I just don't get down like that.

The fact of the matter is that I probably could afford to buy that black on black Charger or Camaro, but that would require some adjustments. I could send my kids to public school rather than private...that would save a shitload of money. We could go out less or have fewer family functions. I could reduce the number of activities that my kids are involved in. But when I weigh the options, it just doesn't make sense to be that selfish. It doesn't benefit the TEAM.

So in a few years when the truck is paid off, we will get another vehicle. I've already decided that whatever we decide to buy will automatically be "mom's car." I will take the truck (which will have about 2-hundy on the ticker by then). I will still have the bad car, but I wouldn't have it any other way. But I can still complain about it from time to time. Nobody can take that away from me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Throw some D's on that satty and keep it moving!! Haha!

Troy said...

I feel you, bro! Thanks for stopping by my man.

Unknown said...

Haha! Yes, SG!!! But this is 100% real talk. Cat's don't know about the "TEAM." I like to look at relationships as businesses... and it looks like you're running a pretty darn successful business, with a bright future ahead!

Unknown said...

Remember when we're roll around Witt's campus in your Buick with Darrion stuffed in the back like excess cargo? We'd literally drive two blocks, from South Hall's parking lot to the illegal street parking outside of the HPER center, bumpin' Wu-Tang for like half a song. All because I didn't want to lose my "good" parking spot.