Sunday, January 3, 2010

This is some bullshit

Ok, so now that break is close to being over, I'm feeling boxed in. I love my job, my kids and my wife, but today I'm feeling like this is some bullshit. It's taken me almost two weeks to get to a place where I actually feel relaxed. I've been taking naps all week, hanging out with my wife, ignoring my Blackberry, playing with my kids, and drinking large quantities of beer. I've watched football and basketball on TV and extended my workouts by 30-45 minutes. Folks, I've been selfish. For the first time in a long time I said, "I'm not going to worry about work or about all this other stuff. I'm going to relax." And guess what? I loved it.

So then where's the bull? The bull is that I typically spend every day worried about how to do a better job. A better job as an athletic director, a dad, and a husband. I worry about that shit so much that it makes me tense and old beyond my years. I skip my workout once a week to make breakfast for my kids. I meet with Young Pog (my youngest son) every day in my office at 3:00 to go over his homework. I actually had my assistant schedule it as a real meeting on my calendar. It's incovenient, but it makes a big difference to both of us. Plus it actually has helped his performance in the classroom. I run all over town attending my kids' basketball and soccer games, even when I don't feel like going (I'm going to be honest with y'all...I don't always feel like going, and most parents don't either). I make a point to let my wife know that I love her unconditionally and that I still find her attractive...even when I don't feel like it. By the end of most days, I have expended so much physical and mental energy that I don't have a second to clear my head and do creative stuff.

I have vowed to spend a few minutes each day laying down The Blueprint for how I do my thing. For now, Young Pog and Baby d (my youngest daughter) are standing next to me waiting for me to get them ready for bed. Back to reality y'all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

u got it man. one step at a time.