Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Gym rats

I'm sure most people have heard the term "gym rat." A gym rat is a kid who basically grows up in a gym watching games and practices. I'm proud to say that my children are gym rats for sure. For the past ten years, they have spent more time in a gym than any kids that I have ever seen. I think Kenzer (my oldest daughter), Young Pog, and Baby d can't remember anything else. I can remember all three of them stumbling around as toddlers during my games (either as a coach or administrator). Mack Attack, my oldest has more stories about my past games than he does about things that has happened in our home! My kids have come to view our athletes as extended family members. I can't tell you how many kids have "adopted" my youngsters and looked after them while I was busy getting things done during games. Baby d and Young Pog have fallen asleep in the arms of teenagers as much as they have in my own.

The gym has been a central piece of our family life. Tonight was no different. I remember when we lived in Georgia and Young Pog would walk by the bench during the game to give me a high-five during games. Yes, my kids have eaten concession stand nachos and hot dogs for dinner more times than I care to remember. We have spent Saturdays together in the gym with Lori working the gate and being a trooper helping out wherever it's needed. For some it would seem like drudgery, but for us it's not. In fact there are times when it's the only time we get to spend time together as a family. We have learned to make it work.

But I cannot take credit for it. All the credit goes to Lori. I can't explain how valuable it is to have a spouse that not only supports my profession, but also covets our time together as a family with the fierceness of a pit bull. I have seen so many wives opt to spend the night at home to get some rest. Lori has basically decided that we roll together or not at all, and if I'm there, we're all there. Although my schedule often dictates 60-hour weeks, she makes sure that we get our quality time. Even if that means eating pizza together in my conference room.

I've heard people say that love conquers all. They say that if two people love each other than they can make it work. That's bull. It takes a little more than love to pull it off. It takes flexibility and the willingness to sacrifice to make a family a family. In my case, I'm thankful for the way that my family has been able to pull it together despite a schedule that most people view as impossible. Tonight is one of those nights when I'm reminded that no matter how hectic things may be, it's important to be together as much as possible. I'm a blessed man, folks. Truly blessed.

No comments: