Thursday, January 28, 2010

Get at me

"Does anybody even read this shit?" That's what I ask myself from time to time. I know that writing is a way to get my thoughts out and in many ways it's a simple, inexpensive method of therapy. But I also want people to get something out of it.

Looking back my journey so far, I would only change one thing: I would have asked for more advice...you know a sounding board. I'm confident in my decisions but I would have benefited from having some input every now and then from somebody who has already walked this path of marriage and fatherhood. It just so happens that I was the pioneer within my circle of friends. I was the guy doing it first. Solomon said that there's nothing new under the sun, and I can't argue with the poster child for wisdom. In one way or another, it's all the same.

Last week, I got a pleasant surprise. Somebody sent me a message asking for some advice on a situation. Initially I thought, "why would anybody ask me? I'm not an expert on anything." Then I thought about a very simple statement: There's no substitute for experience. So if there's one thing that I can bring to the table, it's the experience of being in this game for 11 years. I was thrilled to lend a bit of advice to someone who just wants to do the right thing. I'm not sure who's out there reading, but I'm sending out the call. Consider me your second opinion.

As men, we deal with so many issues surrounding pride. There's nothing weak about asking another person for input, and I've learned a lot of lessons along the way that I'm happy to put to good use. Get at me anytime. tbaker10@gmail.com.

No comments: